- 2-3 servings of wholegrain pasta
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8-oz sliced cremini (or other type) mushrooms (2-3 cups sliced)
- 1-1.5 cups canned diced tomatoes, to taste
- 3/4 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 1.5 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt, or to taste
- 1/3-1/4 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add in the pasta and cook until, usually about 7-10 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, sauté the garlic and onion in the olive oil for about 5 minutes, or until translucent.
3. Stir in the sliced mushrooms and diced tomato and cook for another 8-10 minutes or so over medium-high heat, until some of the water cooks off.
4. Stir in the fresh basil, tomato paste, oregano, thyme, red pepper flakes, salt to taste and nutritional yeast (if you have it). Simmer for about 5 minutes or so and adjust seasonings to taste if desired.
5. Drain pasta and add back into the pot. Stir in the pasta sauce, heat, and serve immediately. If you wish add vegan cheese parmesan style over the top.